Throw back Thursday – The Hull and Transom.

The Hull and Transom.

Rather than dwell on what we still have to do, lets see how far we’ve come. 

When we first saw Nomadica, then Kata Brava in October 2012 she was unfortunately in a bit of a sorry state.  Pretty much rotting away and destined for the scrap yard.   

 

I for one will admit that I wasn’t at all interested in her, I remember driving up to the back of the boat, the transom, and looking up at a lot of holes.  Her lines were beautiful there’s no denying that but I just saw a lot of work. 

Morgan on the other hand was not phased by it at all, he’s not afraid of a lot of work and he got more excited as we looked around.  He saw the potential in her before I did and it took a little persuading on his part for me to agree to finally put in a offer. 

 

We worked on Nomadica full time for an approximate 11 months in total in the yard.  Four months back in 2013 and for seven months this year (2017).  This is what we have achieved so far.

The day we purchased her we also got the hull audio gauged to check for thickness and weakness’s.  Apart from the obvious which was the transom there was just one weak spot on the stringer in the pilot house that had had water sitting in for god knows how long.  So this piece was cut out and renewed.  Also there was a cut out in the keel that we assumed was done to inspect inside of it.  Otherwise apart from small pitting everywhere she was in good shape.

Of cause with any welding work that could infiltrate into the interior we had to get access to this area from the inside as well. So there was a lot of cutting out of panels to do this.  Whilst the welders worked on the outside I would sit on the inside with a fire extinguisher just incase.

Once the welding work in this area was done we got the entire bottom of the boat sand blasted.  When this was completed and cleaned we added 4 coats of primer to the hull almost immediately.

 

We practically had to rebuild an entire rudder as the existing rudder was of the boat when we bought it and in a sad state also.  We had originally thought we could repair it but as Morgan looked at it further he felt it was better and probably easier to just rebuild the entire piece.

 

This year when we returned to the boat we gave the entire bottom a light sand again a little more TLC before adding another two coats of primer.

 

Days prior to the launch and the day after the last coat of primer we finally got the anti-fouling applied.  This was the part I was so looking forward to.  I had dreamt of what she would look like with a black bottom.  We were not disappointed.

 

The transom was our biggest issue on the hull.  As I mentioned it was full of holes which meant water was getting into the boat.  We looked at cutting out the various sections but then in the end we decided to change the entire plate.

 

With a clean slate we figured we could do anything we wanted with the transom.  We didn’t want to have the same as what was originally there and Morgan came up with the idea of adding the back steps and platform.  Which is just a fantastic feature.  I’ll have more about this finished product in another post.

 

The topsides were in fairly good condition.  There had been a few dinks on the port side, but nothing that a grinder and filler couldn’t fix.

 

We didn’t do very much else to the top sides until this year.  Then the mammoth job of sanding it all down came.  We spent hours, days, perhaps even weeks doing it until we were happy.

 

After the initially sand down then Morgan would go and add filler to any spots that was slightly uneven.  Any slight cracks was grinded out and fillered in.  The process seemed never ending at the time.  Once we were happy with this we finally got a coat of primer on it.  It was great to see the uniformed hull again, even though it was a sickly grey.

Over the course of a few weeks the hull changed colour again and again with the meticulous sanding and fillering in.  It wasn’t easy working out in the elements and with the intense Summer heat and with the notorious bugs.  We were happy the day we finally got the first top coat on.

Here’s a summary of the hull colour change in the last few months.

In all we applied six thin top coats in total before we called it a day.

We are completely happy with the vivid red.  It definitely stands out here in the Caribbean.

Nomadica
On anchor here in the Caribbean.

I think that gives a good summary of what we have done in regards to the hull and transom.  Stay with us for the next Throwback Thursday.

Cheryl.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s