Slowly slowly things are coming together. As each day passers we wonder where the time has gone.
We’ve concentrated our efforts this week in a few specific areas.
At the beginning of the week we took the big step of applying our anti-fouling. So once again a new look for Kata Brava. I’ve been dreaming about applying this black antifouling for weeks now. The first coat was tough but the following two coats applied much easier. So three coats in total, each taking the two of us two hours to apply. Morgan worked on the flat surfaces whilst I did the joins, the T bracket which in our case is more like a V bracket and the rudder and skeg.
So this is the perfect time to reflect on what we have done these past few months.
Once the antifouling was completed I started the process of lightly sanding, priming and then antifouling the prop and shaft. Every few days another coat was applied until we finished the little tin of paint. Hopefully this will stop any growth for a while.
In the final prep of the below water areas Morgan got the anodes installed. Being a steel boat we calculated the amount of zinc needed to last us for several years. This equated to 9 anodes on the boat it self and 2 on the shaft. Of cause they needed a little modifying to install on our existing bolts, which again took quite a bit of time.
Morgan finished of the last of the engine plumbing. This is pretty much completed now so he will move onto the electrical requirements in there from this week.
He also took apart the generator and got the injectors sent of for testing. The heat exchanger had quite a bit of build up, so this had to get a full clean along with various other parts. The raw water pump was taken apart and cleaned also. When we got the injectors back at the end of the week we also got a can of Westabeake red paint so we could get the parts sprayed and looking in top shape again. All new hoses were also installed. Hopefully this little red beast will work a charm.
He also worked on the fuel system this week getting the fuel day tank filled up.
We’ve both worked on the pedestal area. We got the remainder of the existing holes closed up. After several attempts of applying a final coat of paint to the marine ply this piece is now in place. We had hoped to finish this project early in the week, but its been a little windy and dusty and our freshly painted parts kept attracting the dust. Its looking good though. We just need some more sika to finish the trim and then this will be done. The compass block is also coming along after several coats of epoxy resin and a light sand in between.
I know we mention dust a lot, but we are probably in one of the dustiest areas and with the ‘sand like’ pile in front of us there are days when its really quite bad for painting. So this has been going on for two months already and this is where they are right now.
Unfortunately the compass that was sitting on the pedestal is in a sorry state. After we took it apart the half gimbal literally shattered into pieces. After lots of emails back and forth to Carssen & Plath the manufactures we’re thinking of getting it shipped to Germany for the installation of the new parts. I didn’t realize a compass would be so complicated. Its such a shame we didn’t realize this earlier as we could have taken it ourselves when we went to France.
Morgan finalized the main battery support this week, adding a additional steel strap across the top of the bank to limit movement with pieces of wood between each battery to allow adequate ventilation. He also worked on the area in the bow where the two batteries needed to be installed for the anchor windless. There was a battery support already there, however the new batteries we have are a lot slimmer than the older batteries so he had to modify the support to hold the batteries snugly in place. Whilst in there he got the rest of the storage area closed up and supported better.
We also spent a fair amount of time this week running errands. We got a a good majority of our safety equipment in which included a Jon Bouy, Life sling, Epirb and Life raft. We also received our Fire Boy Extinguisher for the engine room, this along with our existing two fire extinguishers on board was sent for servicing. Staying with safety we also got our existing life lines measured. The currently life lines have been on board since day one so we figured it would be time for a change.
Morgan also did some work on the steering this week, connecting news cables and installing the sheaves for the cables. He also had to make a step key to hold the quadrant on to the rudder shaft as the original key had worn out and in turn wore the rudder shaft.
Along with all of this and assisting Morgan where possible I gave the entire interior of KB a good and thorough clean this week. Every cupboard, draw, and bilge was vacuumed and wiped out. We still have lots of work to do in the interior, but with a good clean she looks a whole lot better.
Hopefully this week we will get our provisional registration documents. We’re also narrowing down our insurance options. I didn’t realize this process would be so complicated either. With hurricane season officially on us, we want to make the right decision.