Well after two weeks in France we are back in the USA and back with our girl. However this time our time here is even more limited and we need to get ready to leave. I’ll tell you more about that later.
Since we’ve been away Charleston has been experiencing a lot of rain. We were a little concerned about this before we left so had covered all the hatches with plastic just in case and am happy to report that all was well on board and dry. That was a huge relief.
So this week we have been full steam a head. It always takes a little time to get organised. After giving KB a well deserved clean down, as all the rain and wind had left our nice grey deck brown with dirt, we got stuck in.
You will remember in our last week of work we gave the engine room a coat of top coat. It continued to rain pretty hard at the beginning of this week so Morgan spent three solid days pretty much in the engine room. He installed the engine muffler which he had to first fibre glass a elbow and reducer to prior to installation, he connected both exhaust’s and installed brackets to ensure minimal vibration.
He also connected the raw water system to both the main engine and generator. He installed the fuel filters for both engine and generator and plumbed the fuel line from the day tank to the filter to the engine and back to the day tank.
He installed the teleflex control cables to the exhilarator and gear box and connected the lever outside. The water heater was bolted into place as well.
Its really coming a long nicely. You might think how much time can one person spend in a engine room, well it was completely stripped out minus the generator, so he’s pretty much rebuilding our entire engine room from scratch.
We bought new cawl’s whilst we were in France as the old ones were pretty fried from the sun. All the dorade box threads had to be re- tapped before the cawls could be installed.
We continued closing up some of the openings in the cockpit.
New latches were installed on the cockpit lockers and we also started working on the pedestal. Originally the pedestal had teak on it but this was removed as the teak was starting to lift of. We’ve decided to keep it simple and clean and put a painted marine ply instead with a vanished compass block.
With getting this ready we also inspected the original compass that unfortunately needs a little TLC.
We got our new anchor roller back from the machine shop this week and got that installed.
At the end of the week once the weather got better we decided to concentrate our efforts below the water line. First Morgan added another application of filler to smooth out any uneven crevices. Once this was dry we gave the entire hull, below the waterline, a light sand down. Between us this took about 4 hours to do.
We had a few small spots of metal show through, so after a good de-dusting and clean down and some gardening to remove the weeds that had grown around KB we applied a coat of fresh primer to the hull. A second coat of primer was applied to all the shines.
Its nice to finally have a uniformed hull.
With the current time pressure we have on us, we also spent a fair bit of time this week working on the registration and insurance process. Its amazing how much paperwork this involves. We are looking at two different options for registering KB and various Insurance options. Hopefully things will come clearer for us this week and we can start to finalise things.
So lots happening this week, lots of small jobs not worth mentioning but still time consuming.
Lets keep pushing on.