Well this is our last single digit week since we started refurbishing Kata Brava with plenty more to come. The question is how many more weeks will it take? We are progressing at a very slow pace to say the least. There are two factors that we are struggling with, one of them is Mother Nature. We all know very well there is not much we can do about that, it is what it is and we have to work with it which is exactly what we have been doing. We are always keeping a sharp eye on the weather front and prioritizing certain jobs.
Our next factor is Human Nature, yes Human Nature…this factor is a mistake of ours, or should I say mine, it is one that can be and should be avoided with better judgment. I thought I had a good sense of reading/judging different people, obviously not this time. For the last couple of weeks its been excuses after excuses, holding us up in our progress and setting us back. This week we have had enough and needed to do something about it so we have a new welder since Wednesday and we are finally making progress again.
We have closed up all the small remaining screw holes on deck that was brought to light after the sand blasting. Stainless steel brackets have been welded to support our dorade boxes and now our deck is totally completed with the welding.
Now that this is done we started the long process of leveling all the small cavities with high build fearing compound.
A big task on the job list was to lift our +1000 liter stainless steel water tank out of it’s pit in the keel to access a cut out that was made prior to us buying the boat so that we can close it up.
So we squared out the cut out as it was roughly cut made an insert with a nice big bevel to allow a few passes of welding and now finally a closed hole.
Having the tank out of the keel pit we took advantage of cleaning the pit. Gave the walls a good go with the wire brush and a coat of barrier paint with another to come.
Also below the waterline we welded a stainless steel pipe inside and outside in the engine room for a seawater inlet.
The rudder skeg is nearing completion too, we inserted a new plate on the starboard side of the skeg. We also made a new shoe for the skeg with nuts welded on the inside to support the rudder when in place and also fitted a new trailing edge which is a 3″ channel iron.
Have a good one. A+ Morgan