Yes the title is correct we spent the weekend at the yard working on Kata Brava. Saturday was a windless sunny day with a slight chill in the air so we thought its a good time to be out side for a change and tackle the deck.
The teak planks is or rather were ungluing in places from the deck, allowing water to penetrate between the teak planks and the steel deck. So we thought while we are at it, in a yard lets get underneath and inspect the steel deck just in case and for assurance as a peace of mind.
Keeping in mind that we could save the teak we decided to mark each plank with a numerical number and alphabetical letter to make it easier for us when the time comes to put it back together. As we started pulling at it areas came off in chunks, several planks at a time, really super easy while others were well stuck.
Surprises rose as we found that some of the planks had been stapled together, others had nails holding them in places and some even had screws. This must of been an ongoing problem for the previous owners and they probably thought that they had found a good and quick easy way to fix it.
I leave Cheryl in charge while I go for a quick urgent business…..What do I find as I come back Cheryl not working but tanning Charleston style….with four layers of clothes on.
A surprise for me was to find that the teak planks which are about 5-6 millimeters thick are not just glued to the steel deck but to a sheet of 9 millimeter plywood which is glued to the deck. I knew this was common on decks that are in sections, but never thought it would be done on a full deck.
The plywood is totally rotten, this was soaking up the water like a sponge and making the teak deck feel very soft in places, giving us that impression that it was the teak that had lost its bond but no no the problem was the plywood.
Even if we would of known this, the teak still had to come off to change or get rid of the rotten plywood below so we did a good job.
Unfortunately the teak was not salvageable. The underside of the planks were quite soft and plus many of them had nails and stables protruding through them so to save them would of meant more work, time and cash to save all the planks which have seen better days.
We had fun though, now we are left with rotten plywood sheets on the deck. Some glued and some loose, so this will be for the next days to come and soon we should be able to see our steel deck which will eventually be non skidded.
Have a good one,